Number Twenty Nine, Fitzwilliam Street Lower, Dublin 2
This house was first used by the Electricity Supply Board in 1928. The Board had been established the previous year. The building was then used for office purposes until the late 1980s. Number Twenty Nine was one of ten houses on Fitzwilliam Street Lower and on Mount Street Upper restored by the Electricity Supply Board in 1988.
In 1986, prior to refurbishment work commencing, the Irish Architectural Archive in conjunction with the Irish Georgian Society, completed a full survey of numbers 55-62 Mount Street Upper, and 29 and 30 Fitzwilliam Street Lower.
It was the opinion of the archive that the first two buildings on both Mount Street and Fitzwilliam Street were significantly earlier in date than adjoining properties in Mount Street, which they suggested did not appear in contemporary sources until 1834.
This detailed report, found in Number Twenty Nine, a building much altered over time. A number of features, such as the internal fanlight and doors in the ground floor hall, and the internal partition wall in the dining room, were deemed to be Victorian additions and were recommended for removal.
The exhibition opened to the public in 1991 to celebrate Dublin’s status as European Cultural Capital for that year. It was run by ESB in association with the National Museum of Ireland as a museum of Dublin home life for the period 1790 to 1820.
AT ESB, we believe in a brighter future
Since ESB was established in 1927, it has always endeavoured to bring light and energy to the people it serves, allowing individuals and communities to fulfil their potential in every walk of life. This is achieved not only through the provision of critical energy infrastructure, but also through ESB’s contribution to the economy in the form of investment, taxes, dividends and jobs.